Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Monarchs have returned!

The Monarch Butterflies have returned to Ellwood Grove and I was able to take a few pictures.
Monarch butterfly feeding on a eucalyptus bloom

The temperature was very cool so the butterflies were clustered in the trees with very little movement.


Monarch Butterflies
Monarch Butterflies
As the sunshine warms the cluster of butterflies they start to open their wings and fly around.
Monarch Butterflies

Monarch Butterflies

Monarch Butterflies

Monarch Butterfly

Monarch Butterfly

2 comments:

  1. Amazing! How long did it take for them to wake up and fly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was there for about an hour about 9:30AM. The sunlight was moving through the trees and it was fun watching the cluster slowly "come to life". I'm sure if I were to go back int he early afternoon I will see more flying around.

    ReplyDelete