Monday, June 17, 2024

Sarracenia 'Red Bug' Gets A Bug!

Sarracenia 'Red Bug'

     I watched a hover fly eat the nectar near the mouth of this Sarracenia 'Red Bug'.  

Sarracenia 'Red Bug'

     The fly moved closer to the mouth of the pitcher, and slowly it's head was inside and soon it's body was inside, until it was just hanging by its feet.  Then it fell into the pitcher where it was trapped by the slippery sides, downward pointing hairs and digestive juices.

Sarracenia 'Red Bug'

Sarracenia 'Red Bug'

Sarracenia 'Red Bug'

Sarracenia 'Red Bug'

Sarracenia 'Red Bug'

  The curvature of the pitcher and the angle of the lid prevented me from seeing into the pitcher.  By the way, those are two leaves of a Sundew, Drosea binata that are on either side of the pitcher.  The bugs don't have a chance!

Sarracenia 'Red Bug'

     I had my iPhone and used it to take these pictures.  I was tempted to go and grab my DSLR camera but was afraid I'd miss all the action!

No comments:

Post a Comment