Tuesday, July 4, 2017

A Western Scrub-Jay and the Sunflower!

From the kitchen window I could see a Western Scrub-Jay land on the top of a sunflower.  Then it would bend over, grab a kernel and fly off to a tree branch to open and eat the sunflower kernel.  After watching this cycle a few times I grabbed a camera with a telephoto lens but was unsuccessful taking a picture.  Although the Western Scrub-Jays are somewhat comfortable with me around, that wasn't the case with this bird.  So I set up the BirdCam and got these pictures.


Western Scrub-Jay

Western Scrub-Jay

Western Scrub-Jay

Western Scrub-Jay


On the left side of this picture you can partially see the Western Scrub-Jay.  This is the branch it would fly to and eat the kernel of the sunflower.

1 comment:

  1. Nice! I'm looking to upgrade to a nicer camera -- maybe one I can use for such shots. I'll have to figure out how to get sunflowers into my apartment complex's landscape, too! :)

    ReplyDelete