Sunday, April 5, 2015

Red-tailed Hawks and Crows

Today I was working the garden when I heard a large flock of crows making a lot of noise.  I went out onto the balcony and sure enough, the crows were chasing a red-tailed hawk.  I saw something large in one of the trees and grabbed my binoculars.  It was another larger red-tailed Hawk with a dead crow hanging from it talons.  For some reason the crows were not bothering this bird.  Maybe they couldn't find it?  

Red-tailed Hawk with a crow
 This second red-tailed hawk below was resting from being chased by the crows.
The other red-tailed hawk
While the red-tailed hawks were in the trees, the crows were circling and cawing.  Then all of a sudden I saw both red-tailed hawks fly down the hill and into some trees that were out of view.  I don't know what happened to the dead crow but within a few minutes all was silent again.

Circling crows

No comments:

Post a Comment